Lagmay, Alfredo Mahar
Executive Director of the UP Resilience Institute
Academician of the National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST)
- Ph.D. in Geology (Physical Volcanology, Volcano-Tectonics, Computational fluid dynamics) Studies on explosive eruptions and emplacement of pyroclastic flows. Earth Sciences Department University of Cambridge (2001)
- M.Sc. in Geology (Igneous Petrology) Geochemistry of hypabyssal dike intrusions and mafic cumulates in the San Antonio Massif, Philippines National Institute of Geological Sciences University of the Philippines (1993)
- Visiting Scientist (2006-2007) Geophysics Department Stanford University, California USA
- Post-graduate research / Japanese language school (1994-95) Hokkaido University Sapporo, Japan
- B.Sc. in Geology National Institute of Geological Sciences University of the Philippines (1987)
Dr. Alfredo Mahar Francisco A. Lagmay is an Academician of the National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) and Professor at the National Institute of Geological Sciences, University of the Philippines. He is currently the Director of the University of the Philippines Nationwide Operational Assessment of Hazards (UP NOAH), a research center established to conduct research, development and extension services on natural hazards, disaster risk reduction and climate change actions. He is also the Executive Director of the University of the Philippines Resilience Institute, an institution established undertake research and creative work, disseminate research findings, establish non-degree educational programs and support degree programs within the UP System, and improve the capability of the UP System as an agent of change to formulate and implement advanced academic programs on disaster resilience in the Philippines and the Pacific Rim region. He received his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from the University of the Philippines and holds a Ph.D. degree in Earth Sciences from the University of Cambridge (2001). He was a visiting scientist at the Geophysics Department of Stanford University from April 2006 to March 2007. His work is focused on volcano-tectonics, fluid dynamics of volcanic flows, remote sensing, and Permanent Scatterer Interferometry of faulted regions. Upon receiving his Ph.D., he returned to the Philippines and has been involved in numerous research efforts related to natural hazards. He lectures on Philippine Disasters by virtue of having hands-on experience in search-and-rescue and forensic analyses of major Philippine catastrophes. These include the lethal Mindoro, Iloilo, Pampanga floods, Guinsaugon landslide, Mayon lahars, and the Ondoy, Pedring/Quiel, Sendong, Habagat, Pablo and Yolanda disasters. He is a recipient of the Presidential citation for search and rescue work in Guinsaugon and the 2008 Outstanding Research Award for advanced science and technology in the Philippines for innovative applications of space technology. He was also awarded the 2008 and 2011 University Scientist awards, the 2012 New Media digital heroes award and the 2012 Cyberpress best IT product of the year for development of the Project NOAH website and mobile tools. On June 20, 2013 he was presented with the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Outstanding Professional of the Year Award in the field of Geology for his accomplishments. In the same year, he received the 2013 Outstanding Filipino award (TOFIL), an honor given by the Junior Chamber International (JCI) Senate Philippines to Filipino men and women whose exemplary achievements are worthy of emulation. In 2014 and 2015, RED Alert, a radio program that he anchors, was recognized by numerous awarding bodies including the Catholic Mass Media Award (CMMA), Philippine Quill Awards and the Hildegarde awards. He also received in 2015, on behalf of the development team of the ARKO mobile app, the World Summit Award (WSA) for best mobile app for m-inclusion and empowerment. Also in the same year of 2015, Dr. Lagmay has also been awarded with the Plinius Medal by the European Geosciences Union or EGU for outstanding achievements in interdisciplinary natural-hazard research and natural-disaster engagement in the Philippines. He is also the first Asian to receive such an honor. With his wide range of experience and expertise in Geology and disaster science, he continues to serve the Filipino people by conducting work in areas stricken by disaster. His most recent work covered the 2013 Bohol Earthquake and the 2013 Yolanda/Haiyan Supertyphoon. A consultant for World Bank and USAID, Dr. Lagmay is a leading international scientific expert on natural hazards. He has published more than 50 peer-reviewed journal articles, mostly in international ISI journals. Also an editor and regular reviewer of scientific manuscripts in world-class journals, he maintains a reputable status in his field of expertise in the international scientific community.
Main Research Projects
- Project Leader, PHIL-LIDAR 1 Hazard Mapping of the Philippines using LIDAR Integrating High Resolution Digital Elevation Models (DEMs) into GIS-based Flood Modelling - Department of Science and Technology
- Project Leader, Project ReBUILD (Resilience Capacity Building for Cities and Municipalities to Reduce Disaster Risks from Climate Change and Natural Hazards) – Climate Change Commission
- Project Leader, Project Climate Twin Phoenix (PCTP) - Resilience and Preparedness toward Inclusive Development (RAPID) Program – Climate Change Commission
- Project Leader, Vulnerability and Impact Assessment to Natural Hazards for Climate Change Adjusted Disaster Management and Contingency Planning of the University of the Philippines Campuses – University of the Philippines
Engagements with institutions/companies on disasters
- Project Leader (Oct 2016 – Oct 2017) – Evaluating the Potential Hazard of Lubao Fault using Two-Dimensional (2D) High Resolution Shallow Seismic Reflection – National Academy of Science and Technology
- Principal Investigator (Oct 2014 – Sept 2017) – Early detection of volcano flank failure using InSAR – Partnerships for Enhanced Engagement in Research (PEER) Science Program
- ADB Consultant (2016) – Improved resilience to future disasters, mainstreaming Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction (CCA-DRR)
- Project Leader (Mar 2016 – Feb 2017), Integrated Scenario-based Assessment of Impacts and Hazards (ISAIAH) – Department of Science and Technology
- Project Leader (May 2013 – Dec 2015), Enhancing Philippine Landslide Hazard Maps with LIDAR and High Resolution Imageries – Department of Science and Technology
- Project Leader (May 2013 – Dec 2015), Disaster Management using Web-GIS – Department of Science and Technology
- Project Leader (Jan 2012 – Dec 2014), Disaster Risk Exposure Assessment for Mitigation (DREAM) Flood Modeling – Department of Science and Technology
- USAID Consultant (2013) – Pablo Vulnerability to Climate Change Assessment (Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental)
- Co-host (2014 to present) – DZMM Red Alert
- Chreod Consultant (2011) – Estimating Probable Maximum Events (PME) and Annual Exceedance Probabilities for both earthquakes and landslides in Metro Manila – subcontracted for a World Bank study.
- World Bank Consultant (2010) – Integrated earthquake risk management and key lessons learned and recommendations for East Asia and the Pacific
- Board Director (1994-2015)- GEOS Incorporated
- President (2015 to present), Vice President (2008-2014) – Geos Incorporated
- Lagmay, A. M. F. A. (2017). Nationwide Operational Assessment of Hazards (NOAH): A responsive program for disaster risk reduction in the Philippines. In Humanitarian Technology Survey Policy Report. S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.
- Estuar, M. R. E., Ilagan, J. O., Victorino, J. N., Lagmay, M., Hechanova, M. R. (2017). The challenge of continuous user participation in eBayanihan: Digitizing humanitarian action in a nationwide web mobile participatory disaster management system. 2016 3rd International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies for Disaster Management (ICT-DM). doi:10.1109/ICT-DM.2016.7857215.
- Lagmay, A. M. F. A., Racoma, B., Aracan, K., Alconis-Ayco, J., & Saddi, I. (2017). Disseminating near-real-time hazards information and flood maps in the Philippines through Web-GIS. Journal of Environmental Sciences. doi:10.1016/j.jes.2017.03.014.
- Lagmay, A. M. F. A., Mendoza, J., Cipriano, F., Delmendo, P., Lacsamana, M., Moises, M., Pellejera, N., Punay, K., Sabio, G., Santos, L., Serrano, J., Tañiza, H., Tingin, N. (2017). Street floods in Metro Manila and possible solutions. Journal of Environmental Sciences. doi:10.1016/j.jes.2017.03.004.
- Rodolfo, K. S., Lagmay, A. M. F., Eco, R. C., Herrero, T. M. L., Mendoza, J. E., Minimo, L. G., and Santiago, J. T. (2016). The December 2012 Mayo River debris flow triggered by Super Typhoon Bopha in Mindanao, Philippines: lessons learned and questions raised. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 16, 2683-2695, doi:10.5194/nhess-16-2683-2016.
- J.C. Victorino, M.R. Estuar and A.M.F. Lagmay. (2016). Validating the Voice of the Crowd During Disasters. In book: Xu, K.S., Reitter, D., Lee, D., Osgood, N. (Eds.) Social, Cultural, and Behavioral Modeling, (eds) pp. 301-310. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-39931-7_29. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- G. Norini, M.C. Zuluaga, I. Ortiz, D.T. Aquino and A.M.F. Lagmay. (2016). Delineation of alluvial fans from Digital Elevation Models with a GIS algorithm for the geomorphological mapping of the Earth and Mars. Geomorphology Volume 273, No. 15. Pages 134–149. doi:10.5194/nhess-16-2683-2016
- Paul Kenneth Luzon, Kristina Montalbo, Jam Galang, Jasmine May Sabado, Carmille Marie Escape, Raquel Felix, and Alfredo Mahar Francisco Lagmay. (2016). Hazard mapping related to structurally controlled landslides in Southern Leyte, Philippines. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 16, 875-883, 2016
- J.C. Victorino, M.R. Estuar and A.M.F. Lagmay. (2015). Validating the Voice of the Crowd During Disasters. (2015). In book: Social, Cultural, and Behavioral Modeling, pp.301-310. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-39931-7_29
- L. Minimo and A.M.F. Lagmay. (2015). 3D modeling of the Buhi debris avalanche deposit of Iriga Volcano, Philippines by integrating shallow-seismic reflection and geological data. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. v. 319, pp. 106-123.
- M. Ross, J. Santiago and A.M.F. Lagmay. (2015). Integrating and Applying Technology in Response to the Super Typhoon Bopha Disaster. Humtech, Proceedia Engineering 107, pp 100-109
- M.L. Rabonza, R.P. Felix, A.M.F Lagmay, R.N. Eco, I.J. Ortiz, ang D.K. Aquino. (2015). Shallow landslide susceptibility mapping using high-resolution topography for areas devastated by super typhoon Haiyan. Landslides, Volume 13, Issue 1 pp 201-210. doi:10.1007/s10346-015-0626-x
- A.M.F. Lagmay, Norman Kerle.Typhoons: Storm-surge models helped for Hagupit (2015) Nature, Vol. 519, 414. doi:10.1038/519414b
- S. M. May, M. Engel, D. Brill, C. Cuadra, A. M. F. Lagmay, J. Santiago, J. K. Suarez, M. Reyes, and H. Brückner. (2015). Block and Boulder Transport in Easterm Samar (Philippines) during Supertyphoon Haiyan. Earth Surf. Dynam., 3, 543-558, 2015
- J. P. Lapidez, J. Tablazon, L. Dasallas, L. A. Gonzalo, K. M. Cabacaba,
M. M. A. Ramos, J. K. Suarez, J. Santiago, A. M . F . Lagmay, and V. Malano. (2015). Identification of storm surge vulnerable areas in the Philippines through the simulation of Typhoon Haiyan-induced storm surge levels over historical storm tracks. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. 15, 1473-1481 doi:10.5194/nhess-15 -1473-2015
- I. Alejandrino, A.M.F. Lagmay and R.N. Eco (in press - 2015) Shallow Landslide Hazard Mapping for Davao Oriental, Philippines Using a Deterministic GIS ,Model. In: Communicating Climate Change and Natural Hazard Risk and Cultivating Resilience: Case Studies for a Multidisciplinary Approach Eds. Yekaterina Y. Kontar. Springer, Berlin Germany
- J. Tablazon, C. V. Caro, A. M. F. Lagmay, J. B. L. Briones, L. Dasallas, J. P. Lapidez, J. Santiago, J. K. Suarez, C. Ladiero, L. A. Gonzalo, M. T. F. Mungcal, and V. Malano. (2015). Probabilistic storm surge inundation maps for Metro Manila based on Philippine public storm warning signals. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 15, 557-570, 2015. doi:10.5194/nhess-15- 557-2015
- A.M.F. Lagmay, G. Bagtasa, I.A. Crisologo, B.A. Racoma and C.P. David. (2015). Volcanoes magnify Metro Manila’s southwest monsoon rains and lethal floods. Frontiers Earth Science, 2:36 doi: 10.3389/feart.2014.00036.
- A.M.F. Lagmay, R.P. Agaton, M.A. Bahala, J.B. Briones, K.M. Cabacaba, C.V. Caro, L.L. Dasallas, L.L. Gonzalo, C.N. Ladiero, J.P. Lapidez, M.F. Muncal, J.R. Puno, M.C. Ramos, J. Santiago, J.K. Suarez, J.D. Tablazon. (2014) . Devastating Storm Surges of Typhoon Haiyan. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. V. 11 pp. 1 - 12.
- Felix, Raquel, Lagmay, Alfredo Mahar Francisco, Norini, Gianluca, Eco, Rodrigo Narod. (2014). Mapping of the Inabanga Fault in Bohol, Philippines using High Resolution LIDAR Imagery and Field Mapping Verification. In Proceedings of 5th International INQUA Meeting on Paleoseismology, Active Tectonics and Archeoseismology (PATA), 21-27 September 2014, Busan, Korea pp. 66- 69.
- A.M.F. Lagmay and R. Eco. (2014). Brief communication "On the source Characteristics and Impacts of the magnitude 7.2 Bohol earthquake, Philippines." Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 14, 2795-2801. doi:10.5194/nhess-14-2795-2014.
- A.M.F. Lagmay. (2014). “Lessons from Disasters in the Philippines: The Project NOAH experience” South East Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA) 4 pp, ISSN 2225-9694
- E. Paguican, B. Van Wyk de Vries and A.M.F. Lagmay. (2014). Hummocks how they form and how they evolve in rockslide- debris avalanches. Landslides, Vol 11, Issue 1, pp 67-80. 10.1007/s10346-012-0368-y.
- E. Paguican, B. Van Wyk de Vries and A.M.F. Lagmay (2012) Volcano tectonic controls and emplacement mechanisms for the Iriga debris avalanches. Bulletin of Volcanology, Volume 74, Issue 9, p. 2067-2081 v. 74 (9).
- B. Cardenas, A.M.F. Lagmay, B. Andrews, R. Rodolfo, H. Cabria, P. Zamora and M. Lapus (2012) Terrestrial smokers: thermal springs due to hydrothermal convection of groundwater connected to surface water. Geophysical Research Letters. 39, L02403, doi: 10.1029/2011GL050475
- R. Eco, A.M.F. Lagmay and E. Paguican (2011) Understanding the fatal 2006 dike breaching of Mayon Volcano using high- resolution imagery. In J.C. Thouret, S. C. Liew and A. Gupta (eds) Remote sensing, natural hazards and environmental change. Center for Remote Sensing and Processing, NUS and Laboratoire Magmas et Volcans, CNRS, CLERVOLC, University Blaise Pascal, France pp. 17-20.
- A.M.F. Lagmay, M.G. Bato, E.M.R. Paguican and H. Zebker (2011) Detecting slip movement of Mayon Volcano from persistent scatterer interferometry. In J.C Thouret, S.C Liew and A. Gupta (eds) Remote sensing, natural hazards and environmental change. Center for Remote Sensing and Processing, NUS and Laboratoire Magmas et Volcans, CNRS, CLERVOLC, University Blaise Pascal, France pp. 43-46.
- A.M.F. Lagmay, R. Rodolfo, H. Cabria, J. Soria, P. Zamora, C. Abon, C. Lit, M.R.T. Lapus, E. Paguican, M.G. Bato, G. Tiu, E. Obille, N.E. Pellejera, P.C. Francisco, R.N. Eco, and J. Aviso (2011) Geological hazards of southwestern Natib Volcano, site of the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant, Philippines. Geological Society of London Special Publications
- A.M.F. Lagmay, R. Eco and J Agdeppa (2011) PSInSAR detection of ground subsidence and fault movement in Muntinlupa City, MM and Binan, Laguna. In J. C. Thouret, S. C. Liew and A. Gupta (eds) Remote sensing, natural hazards and environmental change. Center for Remote Sensing and Processing, NUS and Laboratoire Magmas et Volcans, CNRS, CLERVOLC, University Blaise Pascal, France pp. 63-66.
- Caranto, G., L. Bayrante and A.M.F. Lagmay. (2010). Configuration of the Geothermal Prospects in the Leyte Geothermal Reservation (Philippines) and Implications of a Volcano-Tectonic Framework in Exploration. Proceedings of World Geothermal Congress 2010 Bali, Indonesia pp. 1-5
- Lagmay, A.M.F. (2010) Getting to know Kelvin. Philippine Science Letters (ISI indexed) 3(1):87-90
- Lagmay, A.M.F., R. Rodolfo and G. Bato (2010) The perfect storm: Floods devastate Manila. Earth 55(4): 50-55.
- Paguican, E.M.R., A.M.F. Lagmay, K.S. Rodolfo, R.S. Rodolfo, A.M.P. Tengonciang, M.R. Lapus, E.G. Baliatan, E.C. Obille, Jr. (2009) Extreme rainfall-induced lahars and dike breaching, 30 November 2006, Mayon Volcano, Philippines. Bulletin of Volcanology 71(8):845-857
- Norini, G., G. Gropelli, L. Capra, A.M.F. Lagmay (2008) Quaternary sector collapses of Nevado de Toluca volcano (Mexico) governed by regional tectonics and volcanic evolution. Geosphere 4(5):854–871.
- Tibaldi, A., C. Corazzato, A. Kozhurin, A. M.F. Lagmay, F. A. Pasquarè, V.V. Ponomareva, D. Rust, D. Tormey and L. Vezzoli (2008) Influence of substrate tectonic heritage on the evolution of composite volcanoes: Predicting sites of flank eruption, lateral collapse, and erosion. Global and Planetary Change 61:151–174.
- Tiangco, M., A.M.F. Lagmay and J. Argete (2008) ASTER-based study of the nighttime urban heat island effect in Metro Manila. International Journal of Remote Sensing 29(10):2799 – 2818.
- Lagmay, A.M.F., R. S. Rodolfo, A. M. P. Tengonciang, J. L. T. Soria, J.B.T. Ong, D.F.D. Fernandez, M.R. Lapus, E.G. Baliatan, Z.P. Quimba, C.L. Uichanco, E.R. Paguican (2008) Science guides search and rescue after the 2006 Philippine landslide. Journal of Disasters 32(3):416-33.
- Lagmay, A. M. F., K.S. Rodolfo, F.P. Siringan, H. Uy, C. Remotigue, P. Zamora, M. Lapus, R. Rodolfo and J. Ong (2007) Geology and hazard implications of the Maraunot notch in the Pinatubo Caldera, Philippines Bulletin of Volcanology 69 (7):797-809.
- Lagmay, A.M.F., J. B. T. Ong, D.F.D. Fernandez, M. R. Lapus, R. S. Rodolfo, A. M. P. Tengonciang, J.L.A. Soria, E. G. Baliatan, Z. L. Quimba, C. L. Uichanco, E. M. R. Paguican, A. R. C. Remedio, G.R.H. Lorenzo, W. Valdivia, and F. B. Avila (2006) Scientists investigate recent Philippine Landslide. EOS 87(12):121-124.
- Kozhurin, A, V. Acocella, P.R. Kyle, A.M.F. Lagmay, I.V. Melekestsev, V. Ponomareva, D. Rust, A. Tibaldi, A. Tunesi, C. Corazzato, A. Tengonciang and H. Uy (2006) Trenching studies of active faults in Kamchatka, eastern Russia: Palaeoseismic, tectonic and hazard implications. Tectonophysics 417(3-4):285-304.
- Bastero, C.F. and A.M F. Lagmay (2006) Estimating SiO2 content of lava deposits in the humid tropics using remotely sensed imagery. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 151(4):357-364.
- Lagmay, A.M.F. and W. Valdivia (2006) Regional Stress Influence on the opening direction of craters in Southeast Asian volcanoes. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 158(1-2 ):139-150.
- Tibaldi, A. and A.M.F. Lagmay (2006) Preface: Special Issue on Volcano-Tectonics.
Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 158 (1-2):1-5.
- Tibaldi, A. and A.M.F. Lagmay, Editors (2006) Volcano-Tectonics. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 158 (1-2), 206 pp.
- Lagmay, A.M.F. (2006) AGU Chapman conference in a developing country. EOS 87(23):223.
- Norini, G., G. Groppelli, A.M.F. Lagmay, L. Capra (2006) Recent left oblique slip faulting in the Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt, and their seismic and geodynamic implications. Tectonics 25(4):TC4012, 21 pp.
- Tibaldi, A., A.M.F. Lagmay, V. Ponomareva, and M. Garcia (2005) Effects of basement structural and stratigraphic heritages on volcano behavior and implications for human activities (the UNESCO/IUGS/IGCP project 455). Episodes 28(3):1-13.
- Norini, G. and A.M.F. Lagmay (2005) Deformed Symmetrical Volcanoes. Geology 33(7):605 -608.
- Lagmay, A.M.F., A.M.P. Tengonciang, and H.S. Uy (2005) Structural setting of the Bicol Basin and kinematics of fractures on Mayon Volcano, Philippines. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. 144(1-4):23-36.
- Tibaldi, A., A.M.F. Lagmay, V. Ponomareva and M. Garcia (2004) Basement-volcano interplay and human activities (IGCP project 455). Geological Correlation 32:85-90.
- Catane, S., E. Listanco, E. Corpuz, A.M.F. Lagmay, M. Bornas, H. Cabria, H. Panol (2003) Active volcanoes in the Philippines – Mayon, Pinatubo and Taal. Field Trip guidebook. XXIII General Assembly of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics. The Volcanological Society of Japan 133-185.
- Vinluan, R.J.N., E.D. Lopez, J.H.G. Salvador, R.B. Quiambao, A.M.F. Lagmay, B.A. Crisostomo, and F.D. Hilario (2003) Some results of the airborne imaging radar program in the Philippines. Proceedings of ACRS 2003 ISRS. The 24th Asian Conference on Remote Sensing & 2003 International Symposium on Remote Sensing 1:757-759.
- Tibaldi, A., A.M.F. Lagmay, V. Ponomareva and M. Garcia (2003) Basement-volcano interplay and human activities (IGCP project 455). Geological Correlation 31:126-132.
- Lagmay, A.M.F., A.M.P. Tengonciang, H.V. Marcos and C.S. Pascua (2003) A structural model guide for geothermal exploration in Ancestral Mount Bao, Leyte, Philippines. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 122:133- 141.
- Lagmay, A.M.F. (2002) Anatomy of a volcano traversed by a strike-slip fault. Philippine National Oil Company Geothermal Conference Proceedings ISBN 0118-8542:1-6
- Marcos, H.V., E. Obille, A. Tengonciang, and A.M.F. Lagmay (2002) Newly delineated lineaments on Mt. Mayon, Albay, Philippines. Proceedings: Symposia Internacional "Deformacion reciente de la corteza terrestre en Sudamerica y regiones adyacentes". Chile.
- Lagmay, A.M.F., B. van Wyk de Vries, N. Kerle, and D.M. Pyle (2000) Volcano instability induced by strike- slip faulting, Bulletin of Volcanology 62:331-346.
- Lagmay, A.M.F., D.M. Pyle, B. Dade, C. Oppenheimer (1999) Control of crater morphology on flow path direction of Soufriere-type pyroclastic flows. Journal of Geophysical Research 104:7169-7181.
- F. Llanes, V. Bautista, M.L Francisco, A.M.F. Lagmay, E. Luna, B.M. Pacheco, E.S. Talens. (2017). Disaster Risk Reduction and Management, Handbook for Academic Institutions: The UP Experience. Book. University of the Philippines Press.
- Lagmay, A.M.F. Lessons from recent Philippine Disasters. Commissioned University of the Philippines Policy Paper, 43 pages.
- Lagmay, A.M.F. (2012) Learning from Sendong's flood. Talk of the Town, Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- Lagmay, A.M.F. (2011) Large areas of Metro Manila Sinking. Talk of the Town, Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- Lagmay, A.M.F.. (2010) Lessons from recent Philippine Disasters. In Proceedings of the Leadership for the Next Generation: University of the Philippines Academic Congress (full paper). Malcolm Hall, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines.
- A.M.F. Lagmay, M.L.G. Tejada, R.E. Penia, M.A. Aurelio, B. Davy, S. David, E. Billedo (2009). “New Defintion of Philippine Plate Boundaries and Implications to the Philippine Mobile Belt” Journal of the Geological Society of the Philippines, Vol. 64 No. 1, pp 17-30
- Lagmay, A.M.F. (2009) Brace for magnitude 7 earthquake. Talk of the town, Philippine Daily Inquirer page 8 (full spread).
- Lagmay, A.M.F. (2009) Citizen-based interactive flood map. Talk of the town, Philippine Daily Inquirer page 14 (full spread).
- Tejada, M. L. G., Lagmay, M., Aurelio, M., Pena, R., Wood, R., and Davy, B. (2008). Benham Rise: A Large Igneous Province Accreted to Luzon”. Journal of the Geological Society of the Philippines.
- Lagmay, A.M.F., Z. Ben-Avraham and A. Nur (2008) The role of the Benham Rise in the geodynamic evolution of the Philippines. Geological Society of the Philippines Proceedings (extended abstract) http://www.geolsocphil.org/geocon_abstracts/geocon2008_10.htm
- C.F. Bastero and A.M.F. Lagmay (2008) Analog modeling of the Philippine Fault Bend. Geological Society of the Philippines Proceedings (extended abstract). http://www.geolsocphil.org/geocon_abstracts/geocon2008_23.htm
- Lagmay, A.M.F. (2007) UP study confirms Metro Manila getting hotter. Front page, Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- Lagmay, A.M.F. and C. Bastero, 2004. Estimating SiO2 content of lava deposits in the humid tropics using airborne satellite imagery. A tribute to Dr. Roger T. Datuin, Geologist, Volcanologist and Friend. Published by the Association for the Advancement of Geoscience, Inc. pp. 78-84
- Lagmay, A.M.F. and E. Obille Jr. 2004. U.P. Bedrock, In: Pasyal, University of the Philippines.
- Paz, V., A.M.F. Lagmay, and Barretto-Tesoro, G., 2003. Second preliminary report on Tayabas Material Culture project. Test Pit 2(2):15-23.
- David, C.P., A.M.F. Lagmay and G. Yumul (1993) Ore textures and silicate inclusions of the Dinagat Chromite deposits: A model for chromite genesis Proc. 6th Annual Philippine Geologic Convention 161-174.
- Lagmay, A.M.F. (1992) Geochemical constraints on the tectonic setting of formation of the San Antonio Massif. Proc. 5th Annual Philippine Geologic Convention 81-92.
- David, C.P., A.M.F. Lagmay and G. Yumul (1992) Mineragraphic analysis of the chromite deposits of the Dinagat Ophiolite Complex, Dinagat Island, Surigao del Norte. Proc. 5th Annual Philippine Geologic Convention 175-183.
- A.M.F. Lagmay, G. Yumul and C.P. David (1992) Geochemistry of the Volcanic-Plutonic rocks of the Dinagat Ophiolite Complex: Constraints in tectonic setting of formation. p. 93. Proc. 5th Annual Philippine Geologic Convention 81-92.
- Aquino, J.S., Fisher, H.H., Corpuz, T.B., and A.M.F. Lagmay. (1989). Camarong river area, Northern Mindoro: Proc. 2nd Annual Philippine Geologic Convention 171-198.