Sumalde, Zenaida M.
- BS Agriculture, University of the Philippines Los Baños, 1978
- MS Agricultural Economics, University of the Philippines Los Baños,1982
- PhD Agricultural Economics, University of the Philippines Los Baños,1986
Dr. Zenaida M. Sumalde is a Professor of Economics at the Department of Economics, College of Economics and Management (CEM), University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB). She holds a PhD in Agricultural Economics from UPLB in 1987 and attended a post-doctoral enrichment course in environmental economics at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada in 1998.
In addition to her teaching function, she has conducted several research studies related to natural resource and environmental economics, agricultural policy and development, food policies, and technology assessment. She also provides technical assistance to the Department of Agriculture and serves a Subject Matter Editor of the Philippine Agricultural Scientist (PAS) and the Philippine Journal of Crop Science (PJCS) and member of the editorial board of the Philippine Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences all of which are listed under the International System of Information (ISI).
She also served as consultant to various international organizations such as the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI); Conservation International (CI), Australian Center for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR); Southeast Asian Research Center for Graduate Studies and Agriculture (SEARCA) and Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).
Her research interests include valuation of environment and natural resource system; environmental financing particularly the payment for environmental services (PES), economics of climate change mitigation and adaptation mechanisms by small farmers, fishers and rural households to extreme events, health impacts of climate variability, impact assessment and ex ante evaluation of technology adoption and development programs of small farmers and fishers.
1. Rico Ancog, Carmelita M. Rebancos, Zenaida M. Sumalde, (2016), Levels and
determinants of vulnerability of two indigenous communities in the Philippines:
implications from using mixed-methods approach, International Journal of Climate
Change Strategies and Management, Vol. 8 Iss 2.
2. Sumalde, Z.M. and Ma.H.F. Dayo (2015). Valuation of Gender Role Participation in
Coastal Resource Management in Masinloc, Zambales, Philippines. Journal of
Economics, Management and Agricultural Development. 1(1): 28 - 44.
3. Ngo Thi Thanh Truc, Zenaida M. Sumalde, Florencia G. Palis and Reiner Wassmann.
2013. Farmer's Awareness and Factors Affecting Farmer's Acceptance to Grow Straw
Mushroom in Mekong Delta, Vietnam and Central Luzon, Philippines. International
Journal of Environmental and Rural Development (October 2013). Vol.4 (2):pp. 179 –
4. Espaldon, Maria Victoria O., Zenaida M. Sumalde, Lynie B. Dimasuay, Jaimee Kim B.
Arias, Andre E. Quiray and Jesamine F. Rebugio. Old Livelihood Under New
Climate: Assessing the Adaptation Strategies in Gubat, Sorsogon and Labo,
Camarines Norte, Philippines. EEPSEA-WorldFish SGR1. 2014.
5. ZM Sumalde, ACC Rola, KP Quilloy, and AC Rola. How much do Households in a Watershed Pay for Damages and Adaptation Strategies during Extreme Events. Paper presented at the 5th EAAERE Congress held on August 5 – 7, 2015 at the Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.